Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Replace Diaphragm Altec model 19, 811B HORN?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Cambrillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20th, 2003
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I need to replace the diaphragm on the H-811B horns in my #19 Altec speakers, anyone know witch one I need? and where to get them? I was told I might need to get A conversion kit?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member David Deratany's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You can get exactly what you need at Great Plains Audio. Unless you are using them in very high output situations, the aluminums will serve you best.

    They come either with blade terminals or screw terminals. You can buy the ones you need or convert the connecting wires from one type to the other.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Gerald DiMauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Cambrillo,
    I'm just curious about how you knew that you needed to change the diaphragm on your 811's. What was it sounding like? I have model 19's too.
    Thanks in advance.
    Gerald

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi JDM,

    I would first like to thank you again for faxing me a copy of the Model 19 information a month or two ago. Thanks! As for Altec parts, there is really only one source: Bill Hanuschak at http://www.greatplainsaudio.com. I won't go into detail here, just check out the website, call and speak with him. His prices are reasonable and the parts are genuine Altec.

    I have replaced the diaphragms in both of my 19's. At Bill's suggestion I did one at a time. What prompted me to do so was not a failure but an anomaly. I am the third owner of these wonderful speakers but don't know how they were treated by the original owner (a university). One channel seemed to have somewhat subdued high frequency response. Maybe 6dB down from about 10KHz on up. I tried swapping amplifier channels, entire compression drivers and finally diaphragms. The problem followed one diaphragm. I told Bill what I had and he knew what I needed. After replacing the "weak" diaphragm, the high frequency response was much improved. After further listening and some quality time with an RTA, it appeared that the remaining diaphragm was now low in comparison to the new one. So, just to make sure I had a matched set, I called Bill again and replaced the second diaphragm. Now I know I have the right parts for the driver and matched output side to side. Not only do the speakers sound brighter and better balanced, the imaging is more well defined.

    While you're at it, find the guy on eBay who is selling reproduction foam inserts for the 19's. He comes and goes but usually has a set available. Most of the original foam has long since deteriorated and disappeared. I bought a new set of foam for restoration purposes and was very pleased with the sonic difference it made. I thought it was only for cosmetic purposes but I was very wrong!

    Later . . .

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Gerald DiMauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Altec Fan,
    It was my pleasure about the fax. Thanks for that interesting piece of info about the diaphragm on the 811. I will definitely give Bill at GPA a call and run it by him too. This was neat. Good luck.
    Sincerely,
    Gerald DiMauro

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Cambrillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20th, 2003
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    HI JDM,
    Just wanted to let you know I bought my 19's new in 1979. They have pumped out great sounds for 24 years without a repair needed.I noticed the other day that one of my horns stopped working, so I took it apart and noticed one of the wires on the diaphragm had separated. Not bad for 24 years.Thanks for the info on the foam inserts Atec Fan, I will keep my eye out for him on ebay.My inserts are long gone.
    Thanks to everyone who helped me in my search.I have gotten in touch with Bill.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    Greetings All,

    Here is a link to a completed eBay auction for the Model 19 foam:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14993

    I searched for "altec foam" and only came up with some woofer surrounds. Then I clicked on "Completed Items" and found what I was looking for. The last auction ended yesterday so I suspect he'll have another one up soon. Or perhaps email him through eBay and make arrangements. I don't know what the originals were like but these fit and work!
    Later . . .

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Gerald DiMauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Cambrillo
    My 19's were made in 1979 too. I recently bought them from the original owner who took great care of them. Thanks for the info on how you discovered the diaphragm problem. I guess that is pretty darn good for 24 years! Good luck.
    Gerald DiMauro

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.